.

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Final reflection

This evening's rain easily makes people emotional, just like the heavy rain of the day I graduated from high school. Coming the heavy rainy season, coming the time we begin to pray to Bell Curve God. Here comes the time to write the final reflection.

I remember Ronald wrote in a comment that I looked like a timid mouse in the peer teaching. Laura also mentioned that she noticed some people being shy in the first few classes. I believe I was one of those. I am usually shy and don't have much experience on presenting and formal writing. That's why I took this course, beside the reason that it was to map to one of my core modules. The mouse has only 2 more years to evolve.

It's my fortunate to take this course soon. The higher year I reach, the higher requirements I have to meet. Technical knowledge is crucially necessary but soft skill requirements is also an issue. This morning, my group in a programming module had to demo our software to the lecturer. Actually it was a demo session, which focused more on technical aspects, but the experience on doing presentation from this module did help me a lot.

I am glad to gain many useful experience from this module. I have learnt many things, both from the materials and from you, my awesome classmates. You always gave me sincere and constructive feedback. I have learnt to make good presentation, to write resume, cover letter and proposal, to conduct a survey, to deal with stress during a job interview and to form group bonding. I have even learnt from Han how to stress people (so guilty). Specially, thanks to Chandra, I learned how to revenge when someone bullies me, haha.

In the future, there would be no more people to give me such detailed and honest feedback as all of you. I feel that from now on, I have to fight alone to my own weaknesses. But I have been prepared fundamental weapons for the fighting. I will try my best to conquer them to reach my aims and fly far in life. Jiayou me and jiayou you too. We all have our targets and desires, and I believe all of us have the ability to reach them if we try our best.

It may be hard to meet you again after this class, especially Ding Ding, Laura, Sumea and my final-year friends Bernard, Ronald and uncle Eric. I treasure all the time we have been together. Thank you very much for all your advises. Hope you will get best achievements you wish.


p/s: after this course, if you see me make any language mistakes in Fb posts and comments, please feel free to correct me. I really appreciate it.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Thao,

    Nice introduction you have written. I have seen the change in you from being a timid mouse to a more confident and a more effective communicator today. I am glad that you have learnt and improved much just like I do. Let us continue to put all that we learnt into practice and improve even more in the future. It has been a pleasure to have you in our class. Thanks for all the sharing and the feedbacks you gave during the debrief sessions. All the best in your future endeavours and see you around school! :)

    Cheers,
    Yong Sheng

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Thao,

    You have definitely improved a lot over this semester. If I were to vote on who evolved the most during this semester, the timid mouse definitely wins. I am glad to hear that you are able to utilize the skills that you learn in ES2007S n your other module. One of the appeal of ES2007S is that it teaches you life skills that is important beyond this class. I hope you will continue to evolve and in the future, all of us in ES2007S will be a better communicator.

    On a lighter note, that is a nifty bit of poetry at the start of your blogpost. Continue being a poet and I will end my comment with one also.

    Roses are red.
    Violets are blue.
    We are never truly separated.
    Meet you again when the time is due.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Eric,

      I am glad to know such sweet rhythm. Hmm, I have to expand my reading to English poems soon. At first let me try modifying it:

      Roses are red.
      Violets are blue.
      How does time pass?
      We have no clue.

      Meet you again when the time is due, our old robotic uncle Eric. Keep up your good work and high demand :)

      Delete
  3. I like how you start you blogpost, its such good description of my mood because of the end of this class, and the semester. I agree with Eric I also think you have been the one that have improved the most this semester. The I just think about your last presentation you were holding, you really rocked it!

    It has been a pleasure to be in the class with you! You were holding allot inside of your personality, of how brilliant you are. When you opened I was amazed. Your communication skills blossomed beautifully and I hope you continue the same way. So much potential that is hidden inside the timid mouse.

    I wish you all the best in the future and may our roads cross!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sumea,

      Thanks for visiting all my posts in this busy week. Since the time you gave us the bookmarks, I realized your mood was somehow the same as mine. I saw you liked this class so much. I really feel that you are a good communicator and caring friend, Sumea. It's hard to meet you again after the course but as you say, may our roads cross. Let's hope so!

      Cheers,
      Thao

      Delete
  4. Hello Thao,

    You may have been a timid mouse, but trust me, you are full of potential, like what Sumea commented. Your last presentation is just the beginning of your journey, a journey to become a professional communicator in your future working world. The way you write your blog post, may sometimes hold a few errors and grammer mistakes, but it is filled with creativity and simplicity. I hope you stay happy, and do not worry, the Bell Curve God will answer your prayers. Let's keep in touch soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Min Thu,

      I have to say that your comment arrives in time! I am praying to the Bell Curve God to give me some help in a module that I am not confident in! Btw, have to try my best.
      The simplicity is what I've learnt from you. I like the way you organize your posts - simple, concise and good-looking. Hope our roads will cross some time in the future. Keep in touch soon :)

      Delete
  5. Again the poet raises her head.

    I really like this heart-felt final reflection, Thao. It demonstrates not just your talent for the written word and your learning take aways, but also your "coming out," the way the timid mouse took in the feedback and critical experience and evolved into quite the refined speaker. When I think about how much you progressed from the peer teaching to the final OP, I can only be impressed. You engaged the audience with so much more confidence that you played a central role in a very good oral presentation.

    Of course, none of this is to say that your mission is complete. But as you mention, Thao you have two more years at NUS. I have no doubt that you will use your time wisely and practice what we have been preaching.

    All the best for that journey, and for the road of life that lies ahead!

    ReplyDelete