.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Importance of Effective Communication

When I am outlining this post, I keep scaring: "communication, again?" To me, communication is a special art: everyone can do it but not anyone can make it well. To be honest, it is not my strength; I admire effective communicators.
Communication is not only about the way people speak but the way they interact, attract and form relationship with the others. I feel that effective communicators have their own ways to assert themselves and lead the others' interaction. My team leader in a programming project last semester is that kind of person. At first, I found a language and nationality barrier between my two other teammates and me which made me worried. Then, I met the leader outside the class, by chance, and surprisingly he impressed me by a pleasant, opened smile as in a Vietnamese verse: "A smile like the autumn's sunlight." I began to perceive him positively, and after that our group cooperated very well. At the end of the project, while I wanted to give everyone a praise for the good work but still did not know how to say, he sent us an email to express his appreciation to our cooperation. We formed a good relation till now. The lesson I learned to overcome barriers is to have an opened attitude and think as simple as possible. Anyway, I still wish I had a magical smile as his.
Having an active and attractive interaction is not simple for me. I belong to the type of shy and silent people. While my friends are skating in West Coast Park, I enjoy being home alone writing poems or walking along a dreaming street. Because I talk too little, some people feel me not interesting or friendly. However, I think communication is not about talkativeness. Nevertheless, when interacting in a foreign language, the habit of keeping silent limits the chance of demonstrating my ideas, practicing the vocabulary and sometimes makes people misunderstand me. I find it difficult to transmit my ideas and persuade the others in the group meetings as well as to raise questions in the lectures. I do not intend to change my characteristic, it's like faked, but I have to learn effective communication: when to say, what to say and how to say; otherwise I will be left behind in the university and future life.
Long time ago, my friend shared to me an old Africa proverb: "If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together." Professional, at least effective, communication is a beautiful and decisive art that anyone who wish to "go far" have to learn.
I want to go far, as far as possible.


9 comments:

  1. Hello Thao!
    I enjoyed reading your post! It's full of explanations and i have gotten a step further in understanding you!(my blog mate!) However, there are some grammatical/sentence structuring mistakes in your posts that i would like to highlight to you:

    I do not really understand this part: “When I am outlining this post, I keep scaring: communication, again?”

    1) ..but not anyone can make it well. -->(..but not everyone can do it well.)

    2) .. attract and form relations with the others. -->( ..attract and form relationships with the others.)

    3) I feel that effective communicators have their own ways to assert themselves and lead the others' interaction even through very small gestures. ( I do not really understand this sentence, but I guess you are trying to say something like this? --> I feel that an effective communicator have a way of bringing their point across to the others through simple gestures and clear explanations.)

    4) At first, I found a language and nationality barrier between my two other teammates and me which made me worried. -->( I was quite worried at first as I had some language difficulties with two of my teammates. However, ….)

    5) .. surprisingly he impressed me by a pleasant, opened smile… -->( He surprised me with an wide smile..)

    6) The lesson I learned to overcome barriers is to have an opened attitude and think as simple as possible. -->(I have learnt to overcome communication barriers through having an open mind and positive attitude towards life and not to complicate matters.)

    7) I feel it difficulty to transmit my ideas and persuade the others in the group meetings and to raise questions in the lectures --> (I find difficulties explaining my ideas and persuading the others during group meetings, as well as raising questions in lectures.)

    I'm sorry if i have just bombarded you with so many corrections! Hopefully what i have corrected is right and will help you in your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post. Overlooking the grammatical errors, I think you write very well and working on the English language will greatly empower you. You have great ideas and metaphors, brushing up on grammar will make your writing great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Thao,

    Like ShiYing and Rohit mention, this post is a joy to read. You provide a very comprehensive discussion of your style, intent and concerns with effective communication. You comprise that "rumination" with clear logic, a relevant anecdote, wonderful imagery and appropriate, poetic verse. Indeed, the poet Thao emerges from this short essay.

    As Rohit also states, once you have gained more control of your use of English, you will be empowered to write in it as I'm sure you do now in Vietnamese, with ease, authority and exceptional insight. I can sense those traits bubbling just below the surface of this post.

    In any case, Thao, even with the language issues, this has been a pleasure to read. I really look forward to reading more of your writing this term!

    (A special note of hearty thanks to ShiYing for helping you with the language in this post.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Thao,

    This was a really beautiful post. As Rohit mentioned, by improving your grammar, you can be a fabulous writer given your creative style of writing. I am glad to have you as my project mate this semester and I hope I am as assuring as the project leader you had mentioned :) All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chandra. In my thinking, you are a caring leader :)

      Delete
  5. I decided to read this post at the end, and by reading this post I can really see how much you have improved. Now you don't have that many grammatical errors when I compare it to this post. But then again is easier to see other peoples mistakes then your own. I have grammatical errors to but can't see them myself.

    By your improvement in english I also think the way you express your self in english has become more poetic to, and I really enjoy your readings.

    Maybe you should become a poet in the future. All the best, Thao and I wish you could come to Norway to visit me!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sumea,

      Thanks a lot for reading all my posts and giving encouraging comments. It's my surprise to read the comment in my first post at the end of the course. This gives me the chance to look back my journey during the past 4 months and see what I have gained and what I still have to improve. I didn't think I made that many grammatical mistakes. My God, thankfully I have taken this course and all of you have helped me to improve. Really really thank.
      In the future, if I travel to Norway, I will definitely contact you. You couldn't hide from me then, haha!

      Cheers,
      Thao

      Delete